The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Thursday, May 14, 2009
 
I guess it's no longer true that I don't feel my mother with me.
    Tonight, I feel her here with me as strongly as if she were sitting in her rocker, leafing through her tabloids, turning to chat with me now and then, or respond to something I mention to her...
    ...I'm sitting on the floor working on my computer, a warm cup of decaf spiced with a dash of rum, a couple dashes of pungent pumpkin pie spice and cream instead of half & half to give it that "toddy" feel...
    ...she's sipping on a cup of cocoa which she refused earlier in the evening with a dismissive, "It's too sweet," but, now, it's the witching hour, 0300, we should both have been long in bed but we're not, it's a good time for cocoa...
    ....she leans toward me, smiling slyly, and says, "Now, if our neighbors across the street get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, glance out their window and see our lights blazing at this hour, they'll think..."
    "...we're having a party!" I quickly interject...
    ...she chuckles and winks at me. "Aren't we?!?"...
    ..."We must be," I agree, "why else would we be up at three in the morning?!?"
    ..."You know," she says, turning to gaze out the cathedral windows, "I don't know why, I've always loved this time of night..."
    ..."So have I," I say...before I continue typing...
    ...ah, I miss you, Mom, you're here, I can feel you, you're presence is making me smile, and I miss you, and you're here, and I miss you...
Comments:
Thanks for the sweet visit with your mom. I miss her as well. My father is always around, I never realized how well I knew him until long after he was dead. I can hear his words, as if he were speaking them - put your seat belt on, slow down, would you mind stopping a minute to look at the sunset, and on and on and on.

I guess we miss them after they first leave, but then the reappear as such a huge force in our lives, there's no getting by them.

At least that's how it is for me.
 
Gail and Patty,

Yes, I still "talk" to my father. I'm starting to see why people are surrounded by long-gone loved ones at the end of life. Disconcerting to younger people, but maybe a good thing.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger