The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Thursday, January 29, 2009
 
Today I sent out the first of Mom's death certificates.
    It wasn't until the shock of the act hit me that I realized by avoiding death business I'd been avoiding the finality of Mom's death. Surprising how powerful are the symbols of death.
    Today is also my father's birthday. I find myself blearily imagining the two of them celebrating at Patty's Elsewhere Bar. A foamy Brandy Alexander, one of my mother's two favorite after dinner cordials (the other being Creme de Menthe), sits before her, assembled in a decorative, fluted glass. The bartender is an eternal expert; this drink matches the extravagence of the Brandy Alexanders prepared at the Top o' the Mar: The cream has been whipped; the liqueur is dribbling through the cream. A maraschino cherry decorates the top. Not at all like the quotidian concoction two of my sisters and I received a few weeks ago after having instructed the second of two clueless bartenders on what the drink contained.
    What is my father having? I'm not sure. As a kid on Guam I didn't notice what he drank until he devolved to mixing what he called "rock gut" with milk, equal parts, in tall water glasses at home; I only noticed the fancy bottles I used to collect. With any luck, he's drinking for enjoyment, now, rather than anesthesia.
    I'm sure they're celebrating, as Mom and I took note of his birthday every year and sometimes celebrated it. It was impossible not to. He always got such a kick out of his birthday, so much so that he used to crow that the 29th of every month was his birthday; reminding us that, every four years, February was included. Mom would fix him a fresh orange and coconut cake, the pieces swimming with juicy orange sections. I wonder what they'll order in the dining room of the Elsewhere Bar. Wish I was there.
    I wonder, too, how I'll react to Mom's birthday this year. I won't be able to help noticing it...she was a birthday whore, as well. I come by it naturally. I hope, by that time, if I shed tears, they will be tears of joy that I knew her, that I loved her, that she gave birth to me; not these damned watery fits of grief.
    Salute your lives here, Mom & Dad. If you hadn't lived, your descendants wouldn't have, either.
    Later.
Comments:
Sooner or later, we'll all know what's on the menu at the Elsewhere. Until then, I have a suggestion for your birthday. Take a grand tour of all the homes your wise words already know so well, lit by the warm glow of our monitors. Come visit us, your readers.

I'm in Florida and it's a lovely time of year. I can give you a tour of the Alzheimer's lab and you can just hang out at the beach all day. It's quite lovely, much different than Prescott, I'm sure.

Mona Johnson is a few hours away in Tampa.

Think about it, and when the mood strikes, come on down. Doors always open, literally.

Patty
 
I second Patty's invitation, Gail.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger