The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Monday, December 01, 2008
 
Yesterday was one of Mom's "longer up" days...
...much to our surprise, especially since, despite being up a full 10 hours, movement was iffy, primarily because of her breathing. We've more and more tended to dialing her up to 5/lpm when sitting, but, previous to a couple of days ago, 5/lpm seemed adequate for moving, too. Yesterday, after two episodes of unusual breathlessness both times that she walked (she only walked twice yesterday, see post for yesterday over at the current movement journal), I wondered if I should boost her to 6/lpm when she wants to try moving, although my guess is that she's probably not going to do as much moving as previously. Today, just to be safe, I'm going to make sure that I don't encourage movement immediately after she arises; which means I'll be insisting on the wheelchair at least after night sleep and nap sleep. It's also possible, of course, that the last two days are a blip and she may settle down, for a bit, before "settling up" permanently.
    In the meantime I couldn't help but recall that our Hospice MD and our Hospice RN have sternly cautioned me about hyperoxia, also referred to as oxygen toxicity, the receipt of too much oxygen. Both times, when I've asked what the symptoms and dangers are, they've demurred. One of our Hospice people, in fact, responded that, all things considered, it was likely that my mother would not ever receive enough oxygen to put her in danger of hyperoxia. Their responses were obviously unsatisfying, so, since I'm considering asking to have her oxygen Rx rewritten to include a boost to 6/lpm when necessary, I did a little research last night. I bookmarked a few of the links that pretty much summarize what I learned. It seems that there is some controversy regarding hyperoxia and COPD/Emphysema/Lung Cancer patients. One side is full of dire warnings about situational dementia, lung damage and death. The other side, which maintains a slightly larger balance of concern, is over the possibility of causing hypoxia, the critical lack of oxygen, in these patients. That last link is to an online discussion among emergency response technicians regarding oxygen delivery procedure. I found it interesting because one of my brothers-in-law is a volunteer firefighter in a rural area and has been receiving training for some time in EMT procedure. His latest information has been that he and his cohorts are instructed not to deliver oxygen at levels higher than 4/lpm during on-the-scene emergency care and transport, and to be particularly attentive to irritation due to extremely low humidity delivery. Some sources are indignantly on the side of delivering the oxygen necessary to prevent breathlessness above all other concerns. I also wanted to know how all this translates into liters per minute. I found that information here. You'll notice that this link recommends humidification above 4/lpm. When my mother was in rehab (during the monsoon season, it should be noted) a humidifier was attached to her concentrator. Within minutes she became breathless and began gasping. At that time she was at around 3/lpm. I detached the humidifier and she recovered immediately. We have a humidification attachment for our concentrator, although I haven't yet used it. I'm running a free-standing humidifier in her bedroom at full blast when she's sleeping, which seems to help; certainly, it significantly reduced nasal membrane bleeding. During the day, though, I don't use anything except liberal applications of water soluble lubricant; mainly I hadn't thought of anything else until last night. So, today, I'll be moving the humidifier around the house as Mom moves, hoping to increase the humidity, at least slightly, in her immediate vicinity. It occurred to me to use the concentrator humidifier attachment on the tanks; I may even try it on the concentrator today while she's napping, keeping a close eye on her to make sure she doesn't become breathless, again...it could be that direct delivery of humidity to her lungs isn't a good thing for her. At any rate, I examined the attachment and the mobile tank set up and can't figure out a way to use the humidifier with the tank. I think I may need a cord adapter, if such a thing exists. Then again, I may be missing something.
    So, this will be a subject for discussion during tomorrow's Hospice RN visit. Come to think of it, this is a good time for me to list the things I want to talk about, as a reminder:    Other than all that O2 stuff, up there, and her touchy breathlessness, Mom and I had a good day, yesterday. She almost got stuck on Hallmark Holiday Movies in the evening, but after the first she became irritated with the overly sentimental tone, so I popped in Miracle on 34th Street, which I've, lately had a yen to watch, and she was delighted. As is often the case, she said, "I don't believe I've ever seen this movie!" I'm always pleased when she forgets previous viewings of favorite movies because her "innocent" reactions are so much fun, and not necessarily the same as during a previous "innocent" watching. After that I switched on Christmas music while we wound down our evening. We both sang along, rocker danced, and talked about the lyrics of some of the songs. "I think I'll start turning the cable to Christmas music every day," I said, "I love singing along with it." In case you're wondering, I don't have a great voice, but it's loud and enthusiastic and sounds better when I'm singing along with others than it does on its own.
    "Good," she said, "it's better than your griping."
    Oops! "Have I been griping a lot, lately? I thought I'd mellowed out over the last few weeks."
    "Weeeellll...let's just say you've had your moments, lately. Several."
    No matter. The holiday season has officially begun in our home as of yesterday evening. Although I'm not what you'd call a devotee of holidays, even though I love winter (somewhere where it rains and snows, actually, which often leaves out Prescott) and holiday lights, since my mother is Mrs. Christmas, living with her has sweetened my previously grinchy attitude toward The Holiday Season, especially the movies and the music. Although I'm still known to contemplate their approach with dread, once I can sing the songs and join my mother in dancing the dance, well, suffice it to say that ushering my mother through the holidays on her terms has its perks.
    Today is open-ended. I'll be awakening her around 1300, unless she rouses earlier on her own. We have no plans, I haven't even figured out what we're going to do for dinner, so it might be a Fast Food night. I'm hoping that she feels fairly good and that constant Christmas music in the background (or foreground, depending) will allow her to feel "better", regardless.
    Oh, by the way, The Mom & Me Journals dot Net has received a touching, surprising, lovely write-up over at Dethmama Chronicles, for which I am ever grateful. If you haven't yet visited over there, do. Although it's full of lots of interesting stuff, her stories about dealing with her Hospice clients are riveting and do much to pull back the drapes on the mysterious world of those ensconced in death watches and the wake of death. And, I repeat, it's highly readable...you're not going to be overwhelmed by words, as can happen over here. Go. Now. Just do it.
    I peaked in on Mom at 1215 because I heard her sneeze. I asked her if she was ready to get up. She wanted more time, so I gave her a choice, 45 minutes to 1300 or an hour and a quarter to 1330, which would be her 12-hour-sleep-mark. Any wonder what she chose? Guess I have a little time to research analgesic mixing.
    Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger