The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Monday, December 08, 2008
 
Now I'm beginning to wonder...
...what is behind the ever popular obituary phrase, "S/he died peacefully at home." This morning my mother is immobile, but I don't think she's particularly peaceful. I'm hoping she's not in pain, but when I awoke at 0430 and headed in to see her, she had dislodged her cannula and was attempting to scratch at the side of the small wooden file cabinet that is doubling as a "night/paraphernalia" stand by her bed. Knowing that compazine takes 45 minutes to work and metaclopramide only a half hour, after replacing her cannula, waiting for a minute while she pinked up and counting her breaths per minute (22-24, not sure), I gave her 5 mg metaclopramide smashed in cherry jam. She seemed to be able to swallow it. I hope she did. I'm also feeding her ice chips, although those are slipping out of her mouth, so I'm alternating a spoon of ice chips with a spoon of water, at which she sucks greedily.
    After giving her the metaclopramide I waited a mere 20 minutes and gave her .25 mL of morphine and 500 mg acetaminophen crushed cherry jam in a spoon. She's taking a breathing treatment now. Although that may seem punishing, considering the position she's in, I'm hoping it will help soften the clogging in her nose, which is excessive. I'm assuming she's getting some oxygen. I boosted her to 7/lpm on my own last night, just in case.
    When I ask her questions she moves her head a little, tries to pick at my pants and smiles. I'm not sure what that means. I have to guess.
    I wish she was in a coma right now. I have no idea what she wishes. I just hope she's not in pain. I'm not sure I'd be able to tell, anymore, if she was.
    Maybe. I can't. But, probably, at this point, I'll have to.
    Later.
Comments:
Gail--Maybe Hospice can come by and give you some physical and emotional support right now. I don't like that you're doing this alone. If your mom is able to take sips of water that may stretch things out a little. My mother stopped drinking and eating about two days before she died--but Hospice was there most of the time to adjust the morphine/ativan she was getting. Once she was on an effective dosage of that, she breathed peacefully, and she did die peacefully. I know your Mom has some different health issues--that's why you should have someone else there to support you right now.

I know it's hard to make such awful decisions--even with my mother's advance directive I found that so hard. Just trust your feelings and instincts--you know your mother. Whatever you do will be THE RIGHT WAY, Gail.
 
I hear you. All the way across the country, I hear you loud and clear.

Hospice inserted a butterfly port on my dad's arm so the morphine could be administered without a needle poke. By the time he died, under the tongue administration was no longer effective.

He was under hospice care three times, all three times we thought he was going to die. We were only right once.

Your mom is lucky to have you, Gail. But you need luck, too, so reach out to someone to be there, if just to keep the kettle on the stove for tea.

If there is anything I can do for you in Florida, other than send my thoughts and prayers your way, don't hesitate to ask. Distance is the drawback of internet friends. And with that, I'll make a cup of tea and face the direction of Arizona as I sip it.

Much love,
Patty
 
This part is just really hard, Gail. You are doing a good job, and you're doing the best you can. That your mom is smiling is wonderful.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger