The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Saturday, December 06, 2008
 
Just to let you know...
...ai, yi, yi! Yesterday went well with the morphine; it seemed as though Hospice and I had gotten the titration right for Mom. Today, all pain and air hunger hell broke loose and it took from noon to about 1645 to address them successfully, which included:    She is, of course, very drowsy, dehydrated, she's been changed and cleaned (while the nurse was here, bless her heart, she offered to help me do this for Mom while she remained in bed; I did not refuse her offer); she's had nothing to speak of to eat; she is not "drinking well with others" even through a straw, although she did take the last dose of acetaminophen (at 1815) crushed in cherry jam (one of her favorites), swallowed it well and drank a little water.
    I'm going to try to hold off until at least 1915 for her next dose of morphine but, well, we'll see. I'm hoping I can get her on a fairly steady regimen throughout the night of acetaminophen every four hours and morphine every three to four hours.
    In the meantime, I won't be updating the companion journals. I think the one over at The Dailies is due to publish at 2359 tonight but it will be fields with question marks and, I think, one entry in the Medication Changes section. Otherwise, well, you know what I'll be doing.
    Not sure when I'll update this again. Not sure, really, where we are with all this, yet.
    Whew! Amazing!
    I think I'll go check on the Mom.
    Later.
Comments:
A wise friend of mine taught me a beautiful prayer, and while I am not a religious person and grapple with the concept of god, there is something about this simple verse...

The light of god surrounds me.
The love of god enfolds me.
The power of god protects me.
The presence of god watches over me.
Where I am, god is.

The light of god surrounds you.
The love of god enfolds you.
The power of god protects you.
The presence of god watches over you.
Where you are, god is.

The light of god surrounds us.
The love of god enfolds us.
The power of god protects us.
The presence of god watches over us.
Where we are, god is.

You and your mom are in my thoughts. We are us.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger