The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Friday, December 05, 2008
 
Just an Idle Question, then an Update
Idle Question:  Why is it, when a man wants information and works diligently to get it and make sure everyone with whom he is dealing on any particular issue is on the same page with information, he's considered smart and perspicacious, but a woman doing the same thing is considered to be a control freak? Even women make this assumption about other women, it seems. I might elaborate on why I'm questioning this, later. Then again, when I calm down a bit, I may not. Still, it's a legitimate question.

Update:  My mother awoke this morning a bit before 0900 with a breathing crisis. In hindsight, this probably happened because:    Because of my concern about possible pneumonia, our Hospice MD sent out an RN to give my mother a brief check-up and gather a little information (here we go with the information gathering again) before making a determination in connection with reconsidering prophylactic treatment with antibiotics. By the time the nurse got here my mother had eaten two pieces of toast and a bowl of Mandarin orange slices, drunk quite a bit of fluid, more than usual by this time of day, her breathing was very good, her color was good considering that I hadn't administered her usual iron pills, since they interfere with the systemic delivery of many antibiotics, and she was feeling good and calm. In addition, although on Tuesday she had wheezing throughout her lungs, she has none, today. I'm very pleased about this; it means that she continues to successfully fight whatever it was she was fighting earlier this week. Feet edema continues at an approximate +2 level, which is unusual for my mother, but is nowhere near where it was the when I first gave her 10 mg furosemide, then followed it with a second dose one or two evenings later. One of the nurses recommended I go ahead and give her a dose this morning, which I did, but the edema is isolated to her feet; it is not involving her legs, her torso or her face. Her unusually (for her) high blood sugar numbers have returned; she was at 200 this morning immediately after she awoke, before eating anything. However, her speech remains fine. It was decided, with my full concurrence, that prophylactic antibiotics are not necessary at this time. At any rate, as the visiting RN reiterated and as I'm fully aware, that Hospice is on call 24/7 should another crisis occur and another assessment becomes necessary.
    A few miscellaneous details: Her Blood Oxygen was at 93%, which is good, at 5/lpm when the visiting RN took it; axillary temp was 96.0, normal for my mother; Pulse at 95, which is a little high for my mother, but it's been an exciting morning. Blood pressure was not taken and I'm fine with this.
    She is now sleeping, again. I'm going in for my shower before the oxygen company arrives. I have one errand to run after delivery of the concentrator and will do this as my mother continues to sleep. Otherwise, I think we're good for the day.
    Whew. Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger