The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Sunday, December 07, 2008
 
I just realized that I apparently clicked the "draft" button...
...instead of the "publish" button on the immediately previous post! I've been off the computer all day, until now, enduring "Trial by Elder". At her 1010 breathing treatment I decided to get her up, as she was restless in bed. I asked her if she might want to go out to the living room for awhile. She said, in halting speech, that she thought that would be a good idea. Surprise, surprise, I was able to lift her and swing her from the bed to the wheel chair. When she's weak she doesn't fight me, so it's somewhat easier than when she's strong.
    She was in to drinking this morning...she actually seemed thirsty. She isn't able to get her hands to work for her...she's still pretty shaky from being so dehydrated. But she drank watered down OJ, water, lots, for her, and some ginger tea. She also decided she was hungry and ate most of a Costco croissant, which I ripped and fed to her bit by bit. She showed interest, off and on, in a Christmas movie. She looked around a lot, too...as though she was emerging from a 40 day spirituality fast in the desert. She nodded off, too, often, and then would awaken with a start a few minutes later. She drooled a little. Every time this happened it brought her "to" and she'd attempt to wipe her mouth. We talked about dinner as though it was a normal day. I suggested those Stouffer's mac & cheese entrees. Her eyes lit up.
    By the time she went back to bed her hands were moving better, although not well, she was speaking better, although not well, and she had regained enough stamina to try to fight me when I lifted and swung her from the wheelchair to the bed. Good sign for her, not for me.

    In anticipation that, if she regains enough strength to help me help her transfer, it will be at least a few days, while she napped I headed out to get the legitimate type of adult diapers. I found some wrap arounds that are fitted around the legs which are perfect for her. I got two different brands to try. I'm sure, at some point, we'll go through all of them. I also found some cheap soaker pads, which is good. When she's bedridden two is not enough.
    It's definitely much harder to change her in bed than it is to have her able to stand and sit so I can pull underwear up and down, so, in order to help with that, while she was in the living room, in between bites of croissant and sips of liquids I rearranged her bedroom so that her bed sticks out from the wall and I can get around it and move her this way and that from both sides. We'll be getting a hospital bed, tomorrow. I was considering having it put in the living room, but, her interest in moving around today, even if it was only in the wheelchair, cued me that it's probably a good idea to keep rooms separate in order to nurture her interest in moving from room to room. I imagine a time will come when having the hospital bed in the living room will be a good idea. Unless this evening, when she awakens from her nap, tells me different.
    So, That Girl is still with us, and doing better than yesterday, although not hugely better. I considered titling this post "She's Not Dead Yet," but I think I did that once, already.

    I'm still pretty much ignoring the other "technical" sites. She obviously isn't moving much. Yesterday she got none of her usual meds except breathing treatments and something else, I think, again, I can't remember what. Today, so far, I've gotten two iron pills down her, which clearly made a difference in her appearance, her Nitrofurantoin, which I consider really important, and her Protonix in order to reduce stomach acid and stave off nausea. I've been keeping up with the breathing treatments. She's felt a bit nauseous twice today, but it faded quickly. I think she might have expelled a little something from her stomach while she's been sleeping, but that might also be blood from her nose; the high oxygen flow is hard to negotiate, even with the humidifier attachment.
    It sounds, through the monitor, like she's becoming restless. Maybe she's ready to awaken. Let me check...oh, no, she's sleeping, I guess it was just one of her frequent-of-late generalized groans. Nope, it sounds like she's moving...better get going.
    Our Hospice RN is probably going to visit tomorrow instead of Tuesday. I also understand we're up for aide visits twice a week, now. I'm not sure how I'll use them, but I'm sure I'll find something.
    I can hear Mom talking to The Little Girl, who has been sleeping with her. I'm smiling...and on my way.
    Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger