The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Wednesday, November 05, 2008
 
Yes, Mom and I watched the election returns. All day...
...and throughout the evening. I put the cable on CNN in the morning and left it there until just about a half hour before Mom retired. Although Mom asked me, generally two to three times an hour, when she was actively watching the set, "What program is this we're watching?", she understood that it was political, she was aware, because, I think, it was repeated so often during programming, that yesterday was election day, the most important part of which was the vote for President of the USA, and she attended with a keen interest that surprised me.
    I decided to take advantage of "the moment" and ask her what she remembered about her parents' and her and Dad's voting habits. To the best of her recollection, she said, her parents and she and Dad voted "a straight Republican ticket"; although, when we lived on Guam, Guam did not vote in US elections and our family was civilian, so neither of my parents were military voters. This means, for instance, that Mom and Dad were not enfranchised during the Kennedy election, or, for that matter, any presidential elections from 1960 through 1972. Nonetheless, after reminding her of her and Dad's ineligibility to vote, I asked if she remembered if she and/or Dad supported Kennedy or Nixon.
    "Oh, Kennedy, I'm sure," she said.
    "Really," I said, "so you both supported the candidate not of your party?"
    "As I recall," she said, with a knowing-historical look she displays for just such occasions, "Kennedy was a Republican."
    I didn't correct her.
    Throughout the day I pointed out pictures of the Democratic and Republican candidates, elaborated on sections of their platforms and groused about the fact that there was no news disseminated about those voting for "the other candidates". In the evening, about an hour before McCain's concession and Obama's acceptance speeches, out of curiosity, I asked Mom if she had an opinion about who she supported.
    Initially, she responded that she didn't think "it makes much difference." This is her standard attitude toward the US Presidency. I let the subject drop.
    Then, after listening to the final speeches by the two major party candidates, when I thought all memory of my question had vanished, about halfway through Obama's acceptance speech my mother said, "Now, there's a good looking man."
    "Yes," I acknowledged. "Turns out," I added, "he's also going to be our next president."
    "Well, good!" my mother said. "I voted for him." And, in case you're wondering, if she voted it was at a decidedly virtual polling place.
    "Do you know what party he represents, Mom, I mean, you know, Democrat or Republican?"
    She looked at me with ironic disgust, her typical expression when she figures I'm needlessly testing her and she's one up on me. "Republican, of course."
    I just smiled. Maybe that's part of the magic of Obama. Whether or not you voted for him, the timing of this election, considering the present, urgent needs of the world and our country, certainly makes it seem that Obama addresses the USA's current need for A Man of the People. Even I, who voted the issues and, thus, was forced to vote outside both major parties, am glad Obama was elected President. Knowing that my candidate would lose, I was hoping he'd win the election; I was, in fact, sure he would. I'm glad he did. I'm glad his party has taken control of the House and the Senate and am keeping my fingers crossed for the 2/3's majority that will lock out Republican filibusters. My positions on the issues stand a slightly better chance of being considered than they would have under McCain.
    Despite the election excitement in our house (which was, of course, low key, excitement of any kind is always low key, now), Mom had a drowsy day; not a sleep day, but she was reluctant to remain up, slept such odd hours that we skipped not only a breathing treatment but I forgot about one of her administrations of her iron supplements until it was too late. She looked good, though, felt fairly good, just needed more sleep than usual. Her napping, in fact, pushed out the scheduled Hospice RN's visit, which will no doubt take place today or later this week. I am concerned about a few issues: Mom's BP and her recent and more frequent than usual bouts of difficulty breathing. But, my concern is more a need for information than a need that something be done.
    Ah! I hear her calling, "Mother, mother!" She's up, on her own, almost exactly 12 hours from when she retired last night. Good sign.
    Later.
    
Comments:
The Goat has been an almost radical left-winger his whole life--he mailed in his vote this year. I am happy with how things turned out as well. Still owe you an email...HUGS to you and The Ancient One!! xoxo
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger