The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Saturday, November 29, 2008
 
Today is our "big" "family" Thanksgiving Day.
    I've kept Mom apprised, daily, of today's approach. Yesterday she was unusually excited. Despite my precise, repeated descriptions of who's coming (turns out it'll be two, MPS and MPBIL, MPNC is on call at work during the still hoped for "black" weekend), I have not been able to dissuade Mom from expecting "the girls" (which means all four of her daughters, including me, and their families), or "the family" (which means all Dead Zone people and a few who still inhabit this plane of existence). My experience tells me that it's entirely possible that, in Mom's perception, she will be delightfully overwhelmed with visitors, today, even though I'll only be able to interact with two of them. One of the things I love about being Mom's companion during this stage of her life is that she keeps us in very close touch with everyone she's ever known or to whom she's been related...she even makes me wish that I was able to perceive The Dead Zone as easily as she.
    Despite her excitement, I've learned over the last few months that it's unwise to alter her hours. Since they've been running late, of late, I'll be awakening her at 1400, her precise 12-hour-sleep mark (we got involved in our second Planet of the Apes fest, last night, when she noticed that one of the network channels was playing back-to-back Apes movies and wanted to see them; good thing we own them and can schedule our fest according to her hours). Company will arrive between 1530 and 1600, bringing what will be Mom's breakfast. I've left the choice of food up to them.
    I still haven't managed to get my hair cut, but everything around here looks a little shaggy, so I fit right in. Other than that, I'm looking forward to the visit, too. My attitude has been flying a little low, lately, and could use a pick-me-up.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger