The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Wednesday, November 19, 2008
 
Another Hospice RN visit today...
...and I want to record the highlights before some episodic wind blows them out of my conscious mind (which has been happening a lot, lately) [This post started 11/18/08]. Some of the detail is sketched over at The Dailies post for today [11/18/08], which won't publish until 2359 this evening [the evening of 11/18/08]. I'll fill in the exact linking url later. Thus, I'll try not to repeat myself but, well, I'll probably fail at that endeavor. Here are the highlights:    So, anyway, that's where I am, right now. Optimistic yesterday, fearful today. And, it's just about time to awaken my mother. The Hospice Social Worker is due for an appointment later. Maybe I'll discuss this with him. Maybe I won't. I'm not sure.
    You know, bottom line is, I'm trying to avoid circumstances that would lead me to consider a law suit. I don't like the idea that the medical and professional care industries are amenable to change only through law suits, not to mention the fact that I simply don't want my mother or me to find ourselves in the position of considering a law suit, because that presupposes bad care and all the dangers that accompany bad care. Through Hospice I am now able to relax about my mother's medical care, after six years. Unfortunately, and, believe me, Hospice is not to blame for this, I am not able to relax about the possibility of in-facility professional care for my mother.
    What about having a volunteer a few hours a day to sub for me so I could "get out"? You know what? I don't want to relax by "getting out". I want to relax by staying in, doing things I want to do here at home without being interrupted by the requirements of my mother's care. In this small, snug home, I don't see that happening, even if a volunteer were to take over care here and there for a few hours. I'd have to get out in order to get away from caregiving. And, you know, I already know, that wouldn't work for me. I relax best at home. It's a part of my character. Something tells me, ignoring my character would be one of the most stressful actions I could take.
    So, you know, consider this post in the spirit in which it is written: Venting.
    Shaking head. Closing eyes.
    Later.
Comments:
Well, I was following along with you, actually happy that you might be finding a path to some down time, when I started reading your list of requirements. I was preparing a letter to you asking if you could find such an ideal place, your mom could just as easily stay as come back home.

The reason you're at home with your mom is because there is no other place to get the kind of care she requires. There isn't an institution that would have a caregiver who could take the time to read what you had written, much less implement it or follow it.

Most are little more than warehouses with beds that hold the elderly until they die. And often there is much suffering before that occurs. It is indeed the culture of failure, the accepted culture of failure, that is killing the nursing home industry as well its patients.

Instead, train your own caregiver, at your home. Teach someone the ropes and watch over them - in your home. And THEN, when that individual has earned your trust - allow them to accompany your mother to a "respite" institution. You will be able to relax knowing you have a "second" keeping an eye on the facility, and you can truly detach in a healthy way from the continual, 24/7 care of your mother.

This may cost more than you want to pay, but you deserve it, kiddo. There are a lot of people out of work right now, you might be able to have a large enough pool of applicants to find someone with values similar to your own.

You'd be an exceptionally good teacher. And the world needs to learn what it is you've been studying by caring for your mother.

Good luck with this. I like the idea of you taking some time for you. Just you. With no one else
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger