The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Monday, October 27, 2008
 
Yesterday was another Sleep Day.
    The last was 10/11/08, so it's been a day over two weeks since the last. The details are posted at Life After Death and The Dailies. The links will take you directly to the specific posts.
    My concern is that this sleep day fell a day after giving her furosemide (which seems to be working in it's usual manner, slowly) and two days after upping her lisinipril, so I took two BP measurements yesterday but her blood pressure seems to be only slightly affected, if at all, from these two. She does seem to be losing some of the water build up, but I expect this will be more apparent when I awaken her today, which I plan to do at noon, despite all the sleep she had yesterday. What good is a Sleep Day, after all, if you have to make up for it the next day? I figure, if she feels the desire to make up for it, she'll awaken on her own. So far, she hasn't.
    I have one concern about this particular sleep day; she had trouble holding herself erect, both in the morning and in the evening, although her appetite was great during her short foray into wakefulness during the evening, her mood was good and she was chatty and alert. So, my night was a bit tense...I had trouble sleeping through more than a couple of hours at a time; and this morning I've checked on her obsessively, but she seems peaceful and her breathing is good. We'll take it at her speed, today, and see how it goes.
    Yesterday, obviously, I had a lot of time to mentally review how "things" have been going. I think her aphasia has increased slightly, but these episodes of not being able to pick the right word seem to happen when she is tired, which may not be much different than usual. I'm wondering if her days of sleep and inability to hold herself in, what for her, is an erect posture, are due to her tumor's further encroachment on her right lung or if we are seeing some signs of metastasis. She continues to experience no pain, though, so that's good.
    I'm a little more tense than I was during and after the last Sleep Day, but not a lot more. Today will probably be a fairly quiet day, although I'm not really hazarding any guesses. The day after her last day she was awake her usual amount. My concern resides around the possibility that she might end up having two sleep days in a row. We'll see how it goes.
    Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger