The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Friday, October 03, 2008
 
Third fall in three weeks.
    You can read all about it at Life After Death Sentencing. The link will take you to today's post. The upshot, after talking to our Hospice RN about it, is that, despite the earlier decision that a bed monitor would be more trouble than it was worth, it's needed, now. It's not that the monitor didn't work, it's that my mother made no distinguishable noises, not even a change in her breathing or her usual coughing when she sits up, this morning. When she was on the floor calling so weakly for me that I thought it was Mr. Man at the Arcadia door warbling, I was sitting right next to the monitor, listening to...well, the sounds of an empty room.
    I suppose, at this point, it would seem as though I should be freaking, but I'm not. It's no surprise that my mother's body is weakening, even as her spirit shows no decline. Frankly, I'm pleased to know that my mother still has the sense to grab for something when she feels herself start to slip. It's truly amazing to me that even as she is losing more of her balance, she has the wherewithal to compensate on the way down so as either to prevent or ease the possibility of injury. She never fails to amaze me. At this rate, she deserves to be taken up to heaven without having to go through death, just like her fabled Bible favorite, Methuselah. If and when that happens, I hope I get a chance to wave good-bye.
    Anyway, I've got some mother things to do. And, I'm really tired. This week is going to be another "short on sleep" week, it seems. I'm beginning to feel it. It may be a bit longer than my earlier projection before I get this section of my journals migrated.
    Ah, well, better go.
    Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger