The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Wednesday, October 01, 2008
 
Journal Address Change Happening within 48 Hours, Give or Take 12-24 Hours
    I am exactly half way through, by date, fixing the links in the final archive. It's going quickly. That archive has less than half the number of posts of the rest; less than this section of the journals, in fact. Apparently I wasn't particularly loquacious (for me) in 2007. That was a surprise to learn. It was the year I began taking St. John's Wort, too, fairly early in the year. Maybe my silence that year is good indication that The Wort calmed me down. As well, I wasn't nearly as "linky" as I had been in previous years.
    So. Here's the plan. I expect to finish the fifth archive and attach the search engine within the next 24 hours or less. At that point I will transfer this journal over to its new domain home, to which all other sections of the journal have been published except the section with all the medical tests results. "Immediately" (meaning that I assume when I do this it will be during one of my mother's sleep periods) after I republish I will send out a blanket email to everyone whose address I have on this computer (no, I still haven't restored my Mac files, but plan on doing that next, after republishing is done here [yeah, right]) letting everyone of whom I know who visits my journals that I've switched the url.
    Don't blanch, though. If you click into this url Blogger will now immediately allow you to chose to be redirected to the index page of this journal, thank the gods. Once all that is done I will, first, reset the search engine for this section, second, correct all links in the Links section over there to your right and third, correct links in the 2008 posts, starting from the beginning of the year and going forward. There are still miscellaneous links on certain sections of these journals that need to be changed, both internal and external, primarily the moving, food and Dailies sections. Getting to those will take a while longer, but I promise I'll work steadily.
    At some point after the switch and the link repair I will take some time to search out people who have linked to this journal and sections thereof with old and no longer functional urls, letting them know of the new addresses, in case they're interested. I recently noticed that one carnival in which I participated has deleted my post, for instance, since I lost my old domain. I imagine there are a few other sites that have deleted me, as well. Fortunately, up through the loss of my old domain I kept a list of sites that linked to me. It's in my Mac files, of course, so it may take a bit longer for me to retrieve that and start that work.
    The only glitch I can see in this schedule is the possibility (slight but real) that when I switch to ftp publishing Blogger will screw up this section's homegrown template. I hope that won't happen, but it happened once before. I'm not sure what I'll do if that happens, but, whatever it is, I'll try to do it fast.
    Be aware, as well, depending on what is going on here (the final construction date for the last of the grab bars, for instance, has been postponed until tomorrow...that might throw a wrench into my schedule; as well, my mother continues to revive, which may mean she'll be up more...well, you know, life intervenes), the schedule I've set, above, may lengthen or shorten, a bit.
    Just to let you know, I do not think I'll be establishing any more archives for the remainder of my mother's life, even if she manages to see in the next New Year, until, maybe, she dies and if I continue journaling after her death (which I think, at this point, I may, at least for awhile); so, addresses for these journals should remain set and stable from here on out. I own this new domain. That should count for something.
    To all of you who have migrated with me over the last nine months since I lost my original domain name, I thank you soooo much for keeping up with me. I'm sorry to have to move on you, again, but, you know, I am just as susceptible to domain vanity as the next person and, anyway, I really missed the ability to do accurate searches with these journal borders. I love the search engine to which I subscribe; even though the version I use is free, it beats the pants off every other internal search engine I've encountered, including Google's internal search facility.
    Later, my friends and acquaintances. Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger