The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Monday, September 01, 2008
 
Wow! Six days Away!
    Actually, I've been fooling around with these journals but it's been my continuing effort to transfer everything over to my newly acquired domain. I've got a few of the less visited journals over there already: The movies, the first archive. I transferred, as well, all the histories to their own Blogger archive. I'm pleased to mention that, as I transfer journal sections from Blogspot to the domain, Blogger sets up a redirect service for the blogspot address. It's not automatic. If you reach one of these redirect pages you'll need to click a "yes" button to be redirected, but, thank the internet gods, that'll be an easy process. I hope this redirect service is indefinite, although I can't find anything in Blogger's help section about how long it continues, primarily because there is nothing there about the service.
    Mom and I also took a six day vacation (through today) from statting. I just logged an informal report of those six days over at The Dailies. Nothing spectacular. About the only major change is that, at the Hospice RN's suggestion, I've added a glass of prune juice to Mom's evening meal in order to try to avoid using Phillip's Milk of Magnesia. I also took a six day vacation from reporting on her movement. Nothing spectacular has happened with that, either. We've used the wheel chair about as much as would be expected in any six day run, although it has seemed to me that Mom's been a bit more iffy in the movement arena than usual, so I'm thinking it might be time to do a hemoglobin check, in case it's bouncing around a bit. Otherwise, though, she's doing fine; not sleeping any more or less, no change in behavior or habits, etc.
    She surprised me, though, a couple of days ago. Some months ago I rented the movie Aguirre, The Wrath of God because MFASRF had claimed it as his favorite, I'm familiar with both Herzog and Kinski, and was curious about it. I was so mesmerized by the rental viewing that I decided to purchase it, even though I suspected that Mom would not be particularly enthusiastic about it. I thought she might appreciate the historical depiction of the journey, but, if she were able to follow the story at all, she'd find it not to her liking. Was I wrong! She leaned forward with astonished interest from the very first frame. She talked back to the screen or engaged me in conversation about scene detail numerous times...most notably during the last several scenes as people on the raft were being picked off by poisoned arrows, to which she'd say, "There goes another one!" As the movie ended with Aguirre alone on the raft surrounded by a horde of marauding monkeys my mother exclaimed, "Well, that's some crew you've got there, boy! That's what you get!"
    Almost time to awaken The Mom from her beauty sleep. We are working our way through the HBO series John Adams. I watched the entire series when it first aired, but that was pre-hospital/interim care facility/rehab for Mom. Her interest in just about everything was severely restricted by what turned out to be her pneumonia, so, although she viewed some of the episodes with me, she had a hard time concentrating and declared that she "didn't like" any of it. When the series DVD's went on sale, though, on a hunch I asked her if she was interested. She was. We've made it through Part 1, so far, today, which was as lively an experience as watching Aguirre, The Wrath of God with her. In addition, she mentioned that she'd like to purchase a set to use in her classroom. "Wouldn't this be wonderful for the kids?" she asked.
    "I agree, Mom," I told her. "If I'd been able to see films like this when I was taking American History in grade school, my interest in history wouldn't have been latent for so long. We don't need to purchase an extra set, though, you can use this one."
    "Well," she said, "I want to leave it there so that it's always handy."
    Good thought. "Okay," I assured her, "I'll get you a classroom set." I can't help but wonder, will this be for a classroom in Iowa, California or on Guam? Maybe I'll find out tonight...
    ...later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger