The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Wednesday, September 10, 2008
 
Quirky, sometimes, what my mother remembers...
...versus what she forgets. A little over a month ago during the afternoon when she was up I surfed our cable station line-up looking for movies to record on our DVR that she might enjoy. One of the channels I always check is the Hallmark Channel. Aside from my mother being a sucker for their movies, primarily because they are gentle, often funny and always contain homespun wisdom, often spouted by a member of "the older generation", the descriptions of their movies on the station guide are spot on and she can understand, immediately, what a movie might contain. As well, of course, the Hallmark Channel carries more than a few program reruns that my mother favors (surprisingly, Little House on the Prairie, which seems to be a staple on that channel, isn't one of those; I don't know why, but that show has always irritated her, even though she, along with at least two of her daughters, me included, loved the Ingalls Wilder series of books). My mother also favors their Tea and Sympathy mysteries. Occasionally she can handle a dark mystery but, most of the time, these irritate her. I've often considered that perhaps this is because dark mysteries are usually filmed through dark filters and little irritates my mother more than dark-screened shows.
    During the above mentioned surfing period, my mother happened to catch that Touched by an Angel has a regular spot on Hallmark Channel. She vaguely remembered the show. The year it first aired, 1994, in the middle of the season MFS tipped us off to the show and, from then on, when we could, we caught the first run episodes. Back then, my mother was spades more active than she is now, so we probably missed as many as we caught. My mother's memory retains those shows, though, enough to ask if we couldn't watch the episode through which we scrolled a few weeks ago, "how about now?" The spot, however, is at 0900 our time. My mother never sees that hour of the day anymore! I promised her I'd set the program up as a daily series recording and, since, once a day weekdays we've been watching episodes of Touched by an Angel, usually right after breakfast and chores.
    Mom remains fairly interactive when she watches television. During this show, though, she is unusually interactive. I'm not sure of all the reasons, but here are a few I've considered:    Anyway, for the last couple of weeks of weekday-ly episodes, my mother has, consistently, after each episode, said, "I'm ready for another one. How about you?" So, I've been keeping the shows on the DVR, rather than deleting them, replaying recently watched episodes on request. I've been doing this without art, really, but, early last week, she caught on. She can handle quick repeats of certain shows, like M*A*S*H, Murder, She Wrote, Seinfeld (I know, isn't it delightfully curious that she enjoys this show?), Andy Griffith and Sex and the City but Touched by an Angel doesn't fall into this category. I'm not sure why.
    "Haven't we seen that one before?" she asked.
    "Well, yes, but we haven't been recording these very long so if you want to watch more than one episode at a time, for awhile the repeats will be familiar ones."
    "They should do something about that," she said.
    I took this to mean that I should check to see if the series is available on DVD. The first four seasons are (I'm surprised the entire series isn't available).
    We received the first of the DVDs yesterday and had an angel fest last night. It was fun, in some cases hilarious. We started from the very first episode of the very first season, which neither of us had ever seen. At the end of the episode my mother piped up, "So, that's where she got that car!" She was also attuned to the fact that the more familiar Angel of Death, Andrew, wasn't the original Angel of Death. She seemed perturbed by Andrew's absence so I asked her if she preferred him.
    "I'm not sure," she said. "This one seems jauntier."
    She was so into the series that, at 0130 this morning, it was hard for her to decide to go to bed instead of watching yet another episode. She was clearly becoming lack-of-sleep drunk, and it had been a looooong day for me. I reminded her that we own the videos so we can watch it "anytime", there's no chance of her missing any episodes. That did the trick.
    Something interesting happened between the second and third episode. I noticed that her glass of tea had been sitting empty on her TV table for awhile and asked her if she'd like something else to drink.
    Her eyes sparkled and she said, in what I mistook as a joke, "I think I'd like a glass of champagne."
    I laughed. "You and me both! My goodness, you feel good tonight!"
    She looked startled. "Don't we have any champagne?" she asked.
    "Well, no. We haven't had any in the house for ages."
    "We'll have to do something about that," she said.
    Wow. I have only a vague memory of her taste for champagne, but I have vivid memories of her enjoyment of a glass of lightly carbonated rosé, now and then. There's no question but what I will incorporate champage and rosé into our evenings, now. I don't have to worry about moderating the amount because Mom savors her alcoholic indulgences and she's never been more than a social drinker. I had some concerns, though, about what to do about her evening medications, primarily her glipizide and her nightly lisinopril, so I called Hospice this morning and asked. The verdict: On the evenings I plan to serve her an alcoholic beverage (and, I'm planning, as well, to have occasional "wine and appetizer" dinner evenings, something she loves), forego the dessert. As well, on wine evenings, check her blood pressure before administering her lisinopril, which she takes just before bed. If the systolic is below 130, cut out the lisinopril.
    Evening angels and a bit of the bubbly. Sounds intoxicating to me!
    Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger