The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Saturday, September 27, 2008
 
Pneumonia X 2
    I'm going to assume you haven't been keeping up with the Life After Death and Dailies journals. Even if you have, you'd be only obliquely aware of what's been going on over the last few days, as I haven't been posting; I've been too busy caring for my mother. I up-to-dated both journals up this morning, but only bits of pieces of the story of our last few days exists in them, so I'll weave together those threads with others here:    This was my first experience at deciding whether to medically treat acute symptoms since we've been on Hospice. I am full of gratitude to our Hospice company for the patience and compassion Mom and I were shown as I worked things through out loud in order to arrive at a decision. My fears of hospitalization have finally been allayed. I was assured by three separate nurses, during this episode, that all efforts are always made to avoid hospitalization when this is the desire of the client. I was astonished that even the minutest of my concerns and questions, such as whether the On Call Hospice RN had, in her experience, encountered people who died without ever having reached resignation, found detailed, concerned response. Once I decided to treat and settled on a course of treatment action was immediate. Finally, I was never "warned" about anything, merely informed of what could be taking place and what I might experience with my mother from this point on.
    Interestingly, although I didn't even think to consider pneumonia until the tongue thickening happened, once that possibility appeared, I didn't freak, nor did I buckle, at all, at the possibility that this is most likely going to be typical of my mother's trajectory and that more "To Treat or Not To Treat" decisions will probably be littering our path with increased frequency. As well, I am pleased that, during the worst of her weakness, I quickly figured out a way to use my body to support my mother's weight during transfers when it was obvious that she couldn't, and managed this without doing it in such a way as to compromise my back. On Wednesday, while chatting with the Hospice Social Worker after his visit with my mother, I reported to him that my next "fear on the horizon" was the time when my mother wouldn't be able to help in transfer and would become bedridden. He assured me that as long as my mother could sit up, there would always be some sort of "trick" to help her move from spot to spot, even if she became to weak to help in her own transfers. That, he said, is what the OT people are for. Then, less than 12 hours later, I found myself in this position and discovered a trick for myself, on the fly. This gives me great confidence; not that it will be easy, but that, no matter what happens, one way or another I will be up to it.
    Oh, wanted to mention, off topic, just so it's here, my mother did develop a knot on her back where her tailbone used to be (she broke it and it was removed when she was in the Navy) from the "cleaning drawers" collapse on Thursday. It doesn't hurt her, though, even when I press on it, and doesn't seem to keep her from sitting comfortably or, as we discovered yesterday, from moving, when she's of-a-body to move. Her left arm continues to improve. Although, when concentrating at my direction, she still doesn't seem to be able to raise it enough to use her slip-on blouses, I noticed, last night, when she was in the bathroom before retiring, she was raising her left arm so that her bicep was at a 90 degree angle in order to preen her hair (which needs washing).
    I also want to mention, so that I remember, when she was "fever sweating" over the last few days I detected a sharp sweat odor after each episode. Her sweat (little that there is) usually doesn't have a noticeable odor. I've never noticed this one, although it's been a looooong time since she's had fever sweating episodes here at home. The last ones were at the hospital and the rehab facility, respectively. During these times there were so many other competing odors that I never noticed this one. This morning I took extra whiffs when I was close enough to her to do so without being detected. Nothing, other than the usual odor of underwear that needs to be changed. Her forehead felt, as she often says, "cool as a cucumber". I can hear through the monitor that she has been settled down for awhile, now. Depending on how she appears when I enter her bedroom to awaken her at 1300, I may let her sleep until 1330 or 1400. I know the extra sleep, especially if she is in peaceful repose, would probably be good for her.
    So, on we go, hopping down The Tumor Trail. It doesn't seem as though she's "dying". It just seems as though she's living, more slowly, with a bit more difficulty, but continuing to live, nonetheless. You'd think, by now, I'd have developed some sort of idea how her life will end...but I haven't a clue, and, frankly, I'm glad I don't. Mom & I both like surprises.
    Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger