The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Tuesday, July 08, 2008
 
Technical Ketchup, Mostly
    I'm staying on point, so far (only two days to judge, though), with the new movement journal. There is a new entry for yesterday, if anyone's interested. To summarize, yesterday was Mom's first legitimate "sleep day" since she arrived home last Monday. I was mildly surprised but not caught off guard. I was wondering when we were going to have one. It's to her credit that it took so long for one to kick in. I was tired, too, body tired...all the increased intensity finally caught up with me. I'm still recovering, today, although I don't feel as though movement is as much of an effort as it was yesterday. Despite having a sleep day, Mom moved well during the first part of her day. The "sleep day" kicked in right after breakfast, though.
    I'm beginning to enter tests. I'm not going to bother to mention them individually, since there are so many. There is no pattern to their entry. Last night I entered three blood tests and a urinalysis which varied from before she went into the hospital to the last week of her rehab stay.
    I noticed, yesterday, as well, that from the top of Mom's head to the tip of her toes she's looking "normal" again. Good color, not dehydrated nor over hydrated, no edema, arms and tips of fingers losing all the bruising that appeared through her facility stays, alert countenance. I guess I slowed down yesterday enough to notice that Mom's really back. I also reflected that indications of her internal state are as they were before everything began to fall apart: Boweling as before, healthy appetite (which never lagged except when she was in the grip of pneumonia), her ability to cut meat has returned (it was a little iffy even on the day we left the rehab facility), her willingness to report minor itches and aches without prompting if she happens to be experiencing them.
    So, overall, we're doing well, even though we've hit a small wall that, although somewhat smaller than yesterday, appears to still be in our way today.
    I hear Mom's reconnaissance cough, at the 10-hour-sleep-mark. I wonder how she's doing today.
    Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger