The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Thursday, July 03, 2008
 
So, this morning the Hospice Nurse Team Leader called me...
...to discuss "the best system" for Mom and me involving Mom's use of oxygen. I told her that I believe I've already discovered the best system but told her to go ahead and hit me with her best shot.
    Her major concern was a shocker. She told me that the way we're using oxygen (the way we've been using it for some years, in fact) "is not covered by Medicare"; specifically, the number of E tanks we use per week. Just so you know, my mother is on Medicare/TriCare for Life. This new information about lack of coverage came as a surprise to me because the way we are now using oxygen is the way we've been using it for some years and we've never gotten a bill. She told me that the company supplying us with our oxygen has been "eating the extra cost". I responded with surprise and mentioned that if they've been eating the extra cost, they've been doing this for some time, at least a couple of years if not more, and that doesn't sound right. She agreed and will look into it.
    Here's the how and why regarding my mother's oxygen use:    I explained all this to the Hospice Nurse Team Leader and repeated my astonishment that a business would eat oxygen charges for a couple of years or more. As well, I explained how Medicare/Tricare works, the explanation for which seems to (I repeat, seems to) preclude the possibility of the company eating not only their profits but their costs.
    The Hospice Nurse promised she would look into this further and get back to me. She agreed that it is hard to believe that a company would willingly go into the red for as long as this company is claiming they've been doing providing as much oxygen to a client as my mother uses in the manner in which it is delivered.
    Although I forgot to mention this to the Hospice Nurse Team Leader, it has come to my attention within the last few days that Hospice, in a roundabout way through one's insurance provider(s), covers only prescriptions that are directly related to the client's reason for terminality, covering these fully. Although this means that only three of Mom's prescriptions, the inhaler meds, the oxygen and the Protonix (which will be changed to Prilosec) will be covered by Hospice, this isn't a problem for us since, with doctor's prescriptions, which the doctor is willing to write, Mom's insurance picks up the rest except for the minimal co-pays required by Medicare/TriCare for Life, and we can have these prescriptions filled at the pharmacy of our choice (Hospice works through specific pharmacies, some of which are mail pharmacies). Thus, if, through Hospice, the way Mom uses oxygen is not covered, it makes sense to me that, since it was covered before Hospice through Medicare/TriCare (as, I'm assuming that the information that it wasn't fully covered is not correct), Hospice can declassify the oxygen as a terminality med, reclassify it as an Emphysema/COPD med (its previous classification) and it will be fully covered, as before (assuming that it was fully covered before).
    Protocol. That's the alternate name for the Hospice Rx Medication Game. If you don't want to be rear-ended by Hospice, you need to become proficient in Protocol.
    It's almost 1130, Mom's 12-hour-sleep-mark. Time to check the dew point...ah, 34 degrees, okay, nominally, for evaporative cooler usage...and awaken the Mom.
    Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger