The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Saturday, July 26, 2008
 
Moseying Down the Trail
An Open Response to Mona, a Regular Reader and Commenter:
    I needed the smile your comment on my immediately previous post splashed across my face yesterday, Mona! Over the last week or so even I have been surprised at how frequently I'm posting, again. Lately I've been scouring my motives, thinking that I might be feeling, since the "death sentence" was laid upon my mother's head, some urgency about posting under the assumption that I "now" have a limited time to do so and want to record as much as possible. I'm not sure this closes the case, though, as I've suspected that after my mother's death I will probably feel the need to post a lot in reflection.
    So, you know, I'm still unsure of why I'm moved to post so much, right now, except that present circumstances, which are surely influenced by the "death sentence", have a knack for stirring up my thoughts in regard to my mother, our companionship and my caregiving. In looking back at my usual posting schedule it looks as though such stirrings are not unusual.
    To you, Mona, and everyone who reads me here, please know that comments are always appreciated, in part because I am grateful that I am occasionally read. Comments also allow me the special thrill of feeling as though I'm in conversation with a reader, here and there, but they are not necessary, so, please, don't ever feel obligated to comment...rather, allow yourself to feel moved to do so! Readers and comments or not, I seem to have more than enough internal provocation for posting.

Yet Another Visitation of an Important Caregiving Topic:
    While my mother was in all three medical facilities from 5/14/08 - 6/29/08 it was ever so common for me to hear, from all manner of medical personnel, some variant of the following: "Being elderly is childhood in reverse." That's a quote because one of the CNAs at the rehab facility actually voiced this version. I was always too involved in looking after my mother at these facilities to respond positively or negatively, but I haven't been able to let go of this obviously universal perception and, as you can imagine from having addressed it some time ago from several angles in this essay, remain in deep argument with it.
    Over the last few days a few of those thoughts have gelled into questions that I'd like to put before my audience (present and future). If this observation is true:    If we really believe that aging is nothing more than childhood in reverse, why aren't we treating it as though it is?
    Yesterday I received a curious magazine, Miller-McCune: Turning Research into Solutions, to which I do not currently subscribe but to which I've been invited to subscribe for free, although I'm not sure why I'm on their "free subscriber" list. The magazine has an article in it which I have yet to completely read, although I've scanned all the sections and am intrigued: Pax Americana Geriatrica. At this point in my scanning, despite the difficulties it outlines in regard to the aging of the population of those nations considered major power brokers, it also suggests that the aging of these populations will usher in an era of peace. It also suggests that the younger a population is, the more warlike it is. This throws into question the idea that aging is childhood in reverse. However pleasant are many of the circumstances surrounding parenting an infant, I doubt that many of these circumstances would be labeled "peaceful" by parents. Makes me wonder: Are we simply not tuned in to the implicit peace of Our Ancient Ones? Is this lack of perception the major problem that stands in the way of us keeping our elders closely connected to us? Yes, garnering the resources to properly care for An Ancient One is not easy, either in home or in country, primarily because we haven't paid attention to renovating our environments to this purpose. Even so, when all is said and done in regard to caring for my mother and everything is on an even keel, which happens more often than most would suspect, there is little more beta-peaceful (which implies alert relaxation) than the afternoons and evenings my mother and I spend in each other's company, no matter what we're doing.
    As I attend more closely to the above mentioned article my intention, of course, is to report back, here. In the meantime, consider this: As long as we insist on equating aging with "childhood in reverse" we will not only fail in our efforts to care adequately for Our Ancient Ones, we will miss the unique and plentiful gifts they have to offer our families, our communities, our societies and our world.

    One half hour to go before Mom's 12-hour sleep mark.
    Later.
Comments:
Honestly, I think the only reason people say this is because of diapers, pureed food and no teeth.

Like Mona, I'm reading every word, kiddo. Just don't always have time to post in reply. I think it would be true if we were to be sitting in person as well. I would listen while I worked on other things, nodding my head in agreement and shaking it in bewilderment.

Onward, my friend. Give my very best to your mom.

Patty
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger