The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Thursday, July 10, 2008
 
I've reinstated reporting at The Dailies
    As usual, it's pretty dry and will remain that way. I discovered, to my surprise, that it's been a year to the day since I last reported there.
    Wanted to mention, too, that, yesterday, the rehab facility made it's second call in a week to see how Mom is doing. The first one, last Tuesday, was a pleasant surprise and, I figured, a normally scheduled courtesy call. The one yesterday, though, surprised me. I wonder if it's because I wrote a lengthy, very detailed critique of how Mom's care had proceeded throughout her stay. I wonder, as well, if they will be calling me again. The call came while the Hospice nurse was here, so I was perfunctory and responded that Mom was "doing fine" and that we were in the middle of a Hospice visit, but thanked "them" for "their" interest and encouraged them to call again. It'll be interesting to see if they continue follow up. I wonder if they are concerned about that possibility that I might report them to "authorities". I have no such intentions at this time. I'm too damned busy handling our life here at home. If they are concerned about such a possibility, though, that's to the good. These facilities need to be kept on their toes. Considering the way they operate and their priorities, a little fear couldn't hurt.
    Later today, when this day of ours starts, at 1400 the Hospice Spiritual Counselor will be dropping by to talk to Mom. Mom requested it. I reminded her of the appointment this evening before she settled into bed. She hadn't remembered and was surprised but pleased. I can't imagine what the two will talk about. I'm not sure how much I'll hang around for that one. I'll wait to see if my presence in intrusive. I'm curious, of course, but I suspect this particular meeting could be corrupted by my presence and I don't want that to happen. I figure, they'll need to feel one another out and determine, between themselves, exactly what Mom wishes to take from this service and exactly how the woman who will be visiting will decide to relate to Mom and adapt her services to Mom's interest and needs.
    I'm very tired, tonight. I need to get a better grip on our schedule, I think. Although I perceived my caregiving, prior to this period, as intense, it was easier before 5/14/08 to handle Mom's late nights and my need to be up and operating in the morning. Mom's days now, though, take so much out of me. I'm hoping I'm in a period of adjustment and will be able to pack the needs of this particular period under my belt as neatly as I have previous periods. We'll see.
    To bed, to bed, to buy a white horse...what a lovely dream that would be!
    Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger