The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Tuesday, July 22, 2008
 
...but first, a note about our sponsors...
    The Social Worker asked me a startlingly appropriate question yesterday that I have to mention because I so appreciated his take on "things". He asked me, in a roundabout way after asking me how I am doing, if what he was observing in my behavior is normal for me. I was open, animated and slightly edgy (physically, not socially). I laughed and said, "Yeah, this is normal for me, so I'm doing well."
    He laughed and responded with a version of, "So, this is as good as it gets."
    Later in the conversation he acknowledged that he was already aware that my approach to life is to analyze it...and even later we discussed my habit of what he appropriately labeled "catastrophic thinking." It was a relief to be accepted for who I am.
    My mother was in great humor during the visit. I'm noticing that she's tending more toward allowing the ironic comedian side of her personality more play than previously when in the company of others. The Social Worker acknowledged her marked sense of humor, too, by mentioning that humor is, indeed important. After he left I thought about this slight tweak in her persona. I'm guessing that part of this "new, more entertaining Ancient One" is her way of dealing, socially, with all the unaccustomed attention she's been receiving, lately, and part of it is an indication that her life is becoming a bit harder, from a health standpoint, than she's used to so she's working to lighten up the atmosphere a bit.
    Today is Hospice Nurse and Hospice Spiritual Counselor day. I made brownies last night in response to mention from my mother in the afternoon that her "sweet tooth is screaming." We have plenty left and nothing pleases my mother more than to offer food to visitors. So, we should have a good day, despite getting an early start.
    A little more book highlighting before I have to shower and awaken the Mom:    That's it, folks. The value of this book for me wasn't so much in the initial reading of it, but going back over what I highlighted, remembering why each section I highlighted struck me and consciously contemplating the ramifications of what I highlighted "in light" of my mother's and my lived together life.
    Thank you, readers, for your indulgence. It has been much appreciated.
    Time to shower, rouse the Mom, and begin our up-together day.
    Later.
Comments:
A Hospice patient's family gave me this book when they cleaned out his room...I read it over a year ago and find myself now going back to the things you have highlighted and rereading!! Have been meaning to write to you for ages and will do so hopefully soon when these 12 hours shifts 6 days a week end!! Hugs to you and The Ancient One!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger