The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Wednesday, June 25, 2008
 
More jumble...
...just like my journaling has lately been, this time under the heading:
Stuff I Want to Remember    Don't worry, I'm not beating myself up over this last, late realization. I've been as present and as diligent as I can be, as is, in fact, probably possible while laboring under the exhaustion that such presence and diligence implies, while Mom has been at the facility, and as hopeful, which I'm sure hasn't hurt her, so I see no reason to fault myself for not coming to this realization earlier. And, we're getting her out on Monday. Despite the problems under which my mother is laboring at the facility, I still need to be adequately and realistically prepared to support her (physically) at home and these last two days of attending her PT/OT sessions have not only helped immensely, I am sure that I will benefit from the sessions that will take place through Sunday. My muscles are telling me that I need this benefit. I know, too, that my mother will not be irreparably harmed in the process and any recovery of which she may have been capable as she entered the facility on May 27th still applies. I want to record and remember all this, though, so that, perhaps, someone else will be prevented from making some of the mistakes to which I was prone, the most glaring of which has been keeping faith with a broken institution simply because the staff was excellent even under the shackles the system requires that they bear.
    There are people who benefit from the therapy. These people, though, are those who are alert enough and fearless enough to not only speak up but to be aware of the inherent institutional problems under which they are laboring; who do not require external motivation from their PTs/OTs and their environment, as well as supportive relatives and friends, to perform; who have not been labeled "Fall Risk", which automatically restricts their attempts to move on their own or with "unprofessional" help; and, who have local doctors who are fully aware of the problems inherent in institutional rehabilitation and have the authority to cut through the masses of red tape in order to hasten recovery and discharge.
    Final word: My mother's new roommate is a 93 year old native Arizonan who is thoroughly enjoyable and of extremely stubborn character (which I salute) and is less demented than my mother but enough so that she, too, does not understand the concept of a call button and is beyond advocating on behalf of her own needs, and, sometimes, incapable of being aware of those needs. She is in for an episode of CHF which has severely swollen her legs. Her daughter and granddaughter, who are local, have visited twice, both visits on the same day, since she was taken into the facility a little over a week ago. I watched while the staff ignored, for three full days, the fact that she remained in the same set of clothes, awake and asleep, despite the fact that she came with an adequate wardrobe. I watched while, during those same three days, she was scolded by staff to wear her "teddy socks" (full length leg socks that exert pressure on edemic legs and help move fluid around and out), which she diligently told staff she could not put on herself (which is true), then told that she needed to use the call button every morning at 0600 to have them put on, then, again, use the call button at 1800 to have them taken off. I mentioned to various members of the staff that this woman, like my mother, had no concept of the call button procedure. I've even triggered the call button for her on numerous occasions...twice I witnessed staff come in, tell her they would "have someone" come in to apply the socks, then disappear for long periods of time. She has been wearing the socks, lately, but, yesterday, she got into an argument with one of the nurses when she flatly refused to have the socks applied and was threatened with never being able to be discharged from therapy if she didn't wear the socks. As well, she is supposed to be on fluid restriction and, yet, the amount of fluid put in front of her to consume is well above the 1500 ml restriction she's on. Having no problem with her thirst sensors, she's been drinking everything put in front of her, which includes a three-times-per-day Boost drink because she is a picky eater and refuses to eat most of her meals.
    What else can I say?
    Oh, yeah, no more cold pill days. The cold pill didn't work, yesterday.
    Time to shower, pack up and head out.
    Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger