The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Sunday, June 01, 2008
 
Mom had a major watershed last night...
...on her own, which is exactly what she needed. Aside from the fact that dropping all that water caused her to feel better, look better and sound better and, by the way, catalyzed a major bowel movement, I'm pleased to know her body is still knows what to do to protect her soul during its time here on earth and is still willing to do these things. Today the leg strength she's gained through the last few days of therapy returned. I saw her in the bathroom standing straight and tall for the aid who was helping her onto and off of the toilet and cleaning her. She still isn't standing that straight and tall for me, but we'll get there, I think.
    I've been planning for us to get out of the facility and tour "the grounds", which aren't much, really, but also tour a church across the street from Mom's window about which she's exhibiting an unusual interest. We've already gotten permission but haven't made it out, yet, what with OT and PT schedules, hair days (every other day, just to keep her spirits up), meals, meds, naps, etc. We were shooting for today but it looks like we might not make it out until tomorrow.
    I'm dragging, so I'm heading out to get a cup of syringe-strength coffee before heading back to the facility to meet Mom as she comes out of OT.
    Needless to say, probably: I haven't had a lick of time to do anything to the house to make it any more available to Mom than it was when she left here two weeks ago last Wednesday. If anything, it's become even more scattered and dirty. Not sure when I'll get the time to do anything. But, considering how she's improving, I'm thinking it isn't yet time to move her into the living room, so, at the very least, just before she comes home, I'll return the futon couch to its couch position and we'll see how we do from there. I think we both want life to return to what we used to consider normal, as much as possible, and I think quite a bit of that will be possible. Then, as the days go by and her health does what it's going to do, we'll make changes, incrementally, from there.
    Another "funny" thing: As the consult with the facility doctor was coming to a close he asked me, "She's going to die at home, right?"
    "Yes," I said, "absolutely." Unless we both get caught in an avalanche during our winter ski vacation in Aspen this year.
    He gave me a thumbs up. Interesting that doctors recognize the value of dying at home. I'd never thought about it but, of course, they would. They know, just as all other patient-care staff does, better than anyone else, the indignities of death in a hospital bed or on a gurney.
    Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger