The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Sunday, June 22, 2008
 
I truly don't know what to say...
...this time. Which means I'll waste some words on trying to say something but will probably say nothing.
    First of all, as Patty mentions in her comment on the immediately previous post, the facility system is indeed broken and, despite the desperate efforts of organizations such as Eden Alternative, I'm sure, now, there is no hope for saving it...it must be knocked down and rebuilt along with our health system. My mother's and my experience is not the only indication of this, but it's an excellent indicator. You may wonder, then, why my mother is still there. I have my reasons, which I don't want to mention at the moment, but they will be mentioned, shortly, when the time is right. I expect she'll be there another week, no longer, per their schedule and mine. This is, supposedly, the "polish up" week. I'm supposed to learn, while my mother is in therapy, techniques for assisting her at home. I'm going to participate in this as much as necessary and possible, although the therapists have acknowledged that much of what they teach caregivers I already know. So, of course, I have an ulterior motive for allowing this week to happen. My ulterior motives won't hurt my mother. She's actually getting into facility life and it isn't doing her harm...it's simply delaying her real rehab, which I'm sure will take place at home.
    This weekend, through some quirk of "facility wisdom", Mom has not been scheduled for any kind of therapy at all, so I am putting to the test one of the nurse's suggestions that I trust the facility to take good care of my mother. Yesterday I spent only 5 hours at the facility, making sure she was completely prepared for whatever may (not) happen there in regard to her care. I will be doing the same today. I'm curious to see if, over the afternoon and night, she has developed urine skin irritation and her second bout of constipation has continued to develop. I saw to it that she was squeaky clean, well, protected with barrier and dyphenhydramine creams and as well hydrated and benefibered as I could get her (which was pretty well hydrated) before I left. I'll be doing the same today. It will be interesting, as well, to see how much this woman, who's energy level is actually pretty high despite her taking advantage of the unusually restful (that's diplomatic) atmosphere happening at the facility, has maintained her Friday level of "physical improvement".
    The doctor showed up by surprise just as I was leaving to make his rounds. I considered staying but I knew, with absolute certainty, considering that her UA CNS will not have completely developed to be read until this afternoon, that there was nothing new he would have to say; and, as well, nothing new I have to say; we've said it all. A little before 1300 I left a note with the Floor Day Nurse to pass around saying that I would not be there for the rest of the day and asking the staff to please take good care of my mother. I could have left specifics on the note, but I've written a plethora of notes and issued a plethora of verbal comments about the care she needs...I no longer have it in me to repeat, repeat, repeat. If I have specific concerns that have developed in regard to my mother's body over yesterday afternoon and last night, I'll address those today.
    I am absolutely sure that she and I will both thrive when she gets home. I expect, in fact, that Hospice's three-days-per-week PT will be all she'll need, considering that her motivation will be implicit in our home. She'll want to get around the way she expects to be able to, as she did before. I'm expecting we'll overcome any weakness she's developed while at the rehab facility in short order. I can tell this in Mom's spirit. I know...bizarre, yes, that I would be talking about weakness that she's developed at the facility rather than strength. But, as some of my readers obviously know, this is the way of health institutions, right now. "Heal" no longer means "bolster".
    Time to gather up and get going. My attitude has hardened, significantly, since last Wednesday or Thursday...not sure which, although I can check that. I've actually got documentation of it; so does the facility. Although I'm not used to this and am uncomfortable with it, I'm noticing that this development is significantly more helpful than my previous attitude of, essentially, sympathetically trying to pick up the slack in the facility's job. I remain understanding about the fact that the facility employees are hamstrung by administration and frustrated, as well, but I understand, now, that my sympathy does absolutely no good for anyone, including me.
    Here I go, ready for anything. I'll report back...
    ...later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger