The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Monday, June 16, 2008
 
At 2331 this evening I awoke from the following dream:
    My mother and I were having dinner with MPS and her family at their house in the Phoenix Metro-plex. We were eating outside at a picnic-style table bedecked with some sort of celebratory spread. My mother, by the way, although the same age she is now, was completely mobile, etc., and wearing the dress in this picture of her.
    It began to rain as we were eating. We all arose, gathered up the feast and dashed inside to finish our dinner. As we were resetting the inside table, my mother and MPNP were at the sink doing something, probably wiping rain off plates. I heard a hard gasp, like a sudden outtake of air. I looked to the sink and my mother was slumped over. She had accidentally stabbed herself through the chest with one of those two-pronged forks used to hold down a large cut of meat as its being sliced. My nephew immediately gathered her up, explaining as he moved toward the door, "She's 90, she wasn't watching what she was doing and fell against the fork." As he headed out the door toward his truck I shouted after him, "[Name of hospital she usually goes to in Mesa]! [Name of her Mesa PC] is her doctor! Her documents are on file there! Tell them to do everything necessary! I'll be right behind you!"
    He nodded as he ducked out the door carrying my mother.
    I awoke as MPS and MPNC were locating their car and I was locating my car in a huge parking lot in order to follow MPNP.
    Although events were moving furiously in the dream, I wasn't particularly panicked when I awoke. I can't recall ever having a prophetic dream, let alone a truly prophetic thought. Considering the peculiarity of the dream, though, and my first awakening thought, that my mother might be having a heart attack, I decided it might not be a bad idea to call the facility and check on her, just in case she was having a heart attack or had already had one and was laying dead in her unmonitored (by instruments, at least) bed.
    I explained, by way of apology, to the fellow who answered the phone that I had a peculiar request as a result of an unusual dream I'd just had and was wondering if he could have Mom's floor nurse (I identified Mom by name, room and bed number, and, of course, identified myself, as well) check on her and make sure she was "breathing, asleep and alive". It took a few minutes on hold for this fellow to walk the floor, check on my mother and return to me with confirmation that she was asleep, alive and fine. I thanked him, of course, told him that normally I was not disturbed by such dreams but that since this one was so unusual and I awoke with the idea that she might be having a heart attack I just wanted to check to make sure she was all right. He had no problem with that.
    You'll notice that I've included very little fine detail about the dream. At the time I awoke out of the dream I didn't think any of the detail was significant. Following is what I can now remember, in case, as I'm mulling the entire dream over in my mind over the next few days, something of personal significance jumps out at me, since the dream obviously wasn't:    Think I'll head back for bed. I'm satisfied that I've recorded everything I can remember, all, for the moment, is well, and will remain so for the next few hours.
    Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger