The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Sunday, May 18, 2008
 
May the gods of air and light,
inspire my mother's lungs tonight.
    Turns out likely that my mother has pneumonia and has probably had it for awhile, without cough or fever. This possible diagnosis is courtesy of a neurologist who was finally brought in on the case when Mom's condition continued to deteriorate, most notably today, the morning prior to the afternoon when she was scheduled to be transferred to a local "sniff" for short term intensive physical rehab. I realized, within an hour or so of arriving at the hospital this morning, that her condition was so bad, especially what appeared to be her dementia but also, notably, her physical weakness, that there was no way she would be able to participate in her own therapy. That's when I insisted (rather inelegantly, I must admit, including uncontrollable tears) that her diagnosis be revisited and the rehab visit be canceled for the time being. Thank the gods of healing that attention was paid to my morning observations and my concern.
    It's a long story, not yet complete, including such provocative tidbits as:    I'll elaborate on the above later. Suffice it to say, the diagnosis of pneumonia is still being tested, so she isn't yet on antibiotics but she has been receiving regular breathing treatments beginning today and began coughing fruitily this afternoon. She's wasted and spent most of today asleep, spiced with some vomiting and incontinent shitting. But, my hopes are high. She's fighting, that's obvious. Even the day nurse agreed. In the now famous concept from The Savages, her toes haven't yet curled under. Although I doubt the veracity of this observation, I couldn't help but check my mother's toes before I left this evening. They were holding up the sheet.
    Although it's been a rough, sickly couple of days for my mother and a rough, sleep deprived couple of days for me since Wednesday evening, tonight I'm relaxed and sure that I'll sleep well and deeply with my fingers crossed that she does, indeed, have pneumonia. I know, that sounds bizarre. What?!? Hoping a 90 years old, frail, chronically anemic woman with COPD/Emphysema has pneumonia?!? The thing is, pneumonia can be fixed, especially in those who have fight left. My mother has fight left. I know this because she fought being taken to the ER and is still fighting the possible rehab episode. And, besides that, I know my mother, and I'm not afraid of the possibility of her dying. She might as a result of this episode of ill health. But, I sense she's not yet ready to go, thus, I think, if she has her way and is supported by myself and at least a few of the professionals collaborating in her care, she and our kitties, whom she misses terribly and who miss her just as fervently, will soon be reunited and she and I will continue our journey, the one she is still convinced is blessed with immortality.
    But, of course, you never know. She might be closer to eternity than either of us think and we might both be surprised by an imminent separation.
    May the gods of air and light,
    inspire my mother's lungs tonight.
    To bed, to bed, to buy a white horse...
    Later.
Comments:
I'm in tears reading this post. I don't know about you or your mother, but I'm certainly not ready for anyone leaving. She has been such a delight, mostly the way she forces you to grow so strong and straight, right towards the sun. What a challenge it's been, she ages, you age, she's always way ahead, getting there first and you follow, learning so much along the way. Mother, especially the good ones, never stop teaching us.

Hang in there, get some sleep and get some nourishment, physically and emotionally. My father had pneumonia more than once, he was a fighter, too.

Are your sisters near?

Please give my best to your mother.
 
Strength and comfort to your mom and you!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger