The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Thursday, May 29, 2008
 
I've decided to start an informal catalog...
...of my favorite My Mom Has Lung Cancer comments. This is the first installment. It was offered by a delightful, wry friend with whom I just recently reconnected. She's a nurse, one of those who has generously offered me her no-nonsense evaluations and advice about my mother's life, now that it's intimately connected with all those aspects of Ancient One's bodies that can become overwhelming if they aren't looked at from an appropriate perspective. Here's how she reacted: "I have to admit I am mostly dismayed: who the hell gets lung cancer in their NINETIES for Chrissakes??"
    'Nuff said.
    Today Mom starts rehab, two sessions a day six days a week, one physical, one occupational. I learned, too, that if she refuses sessions here and there, legally, she cannot be forced to participate. The staff can "encourage" but cannot force. That's okay. Mom is easily encouraged and, of course, I continue to encourage her, and compliment her on her efforts, profusely. I'll think we'll do all right on this score. She was treated to an evaluation yesterday by both supervisors that lasted for about an hour and included a question and answer session that well approximated an interview designed to determine her level of dementia and, thus, her ability to participate in her own rehab. It was a tiring hour for her. The evaluation, of course, was not meant to be passed or failed, but, she was very cooperative. During a part of it I left the room when Mom began looking to me for "help". That worked well, too. The therapists were able to get a good lock on her abilities, disabilities, potential, where to start and how to direct her. Mainly, what I'm hoping for, is that her abilities return to the point where, even if we continue to have frequent "wheel chair [half or full] days", she will be able to assist me in getting her into and out of the chair at crucial points (bed, bathroom, rocker, etc.,) when it's just her and me, which it mostly will be, at least for quite awhile, probably. Seems my hopes are not out-of-the-way and may even be exceeded. I was pleased.
    During the evaluation I learned, once again, that my mother's mishandling of walkers and her obstinacy in being corrected is fairly typical for people in her condition. As I mulled this over last night I hit on the design of a device that might easily be made and should help with the problem. It's simple, straightforward, and it should be easy to find parts and put them together. I'll explain it later.
    In the meantime, even without therapy my mother continues to improve. Tuesday night she was not able to swing her legs up onto the bed under her own power in order to settle herself comfortably for sleep. Last night she was able to do this with almost no assist from me. At one point, when I tried to help her with her lagging leg, she scolded me to "leave it alone" because, she said, I "always help it into the wrong position." So, I backed off, provided a little midway support to keep the leg from dropping back to the floor, and let her do it.
    I'm still trying to accomplish getting the 2.5 mg metaclopramide before meals and bed off her list because it can cause drowsiness. For my mother, I think what's happening is that it's dulling her edge just enough to affect her ability to move. I've only been halfway successful. I've spoken to the med nurse, who assures me she will pursue this and, nurse by nurse, med delivery by med delivery, if I'm there at the time, I've been refusing it and have been only lightly challenged. The argument is, "but it's such a small dose, it shouldn't affect her". My counter argument is that the woman is so lightly medicated that just about anything can have an affect on her and if she doesn't need it (and she doesn't, anymore, I'm clear on and sure of this) DON'T GIVE IT TO HER!
    Time to get ready for work.
    Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger