The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Wednesday, April 02, 2008
 
EPO Shots Day 1 - Treatment 1
    It was a quick appointment, today, at the hematologist's. Mom was no sooner seated in the waiting room than she was called back to what I expect will become our "regular" exam room; same one into which we were ushered exactly a week ago. The office manager handed me copies of all the tests but one which hasn't yet arrived, the Serum Protein Electrophoresis. The hematologist stepped in within moments, smiled, said, "She'll be getting a shot today," left to collect a loaded syringe, returned, Mom looked unpleasantly surprised even though I'd prepped her for this, I leaned into her good ear and reminded her that, with a little luck, these shots would clear her anemia or, at least, raise her hemoglobin to the point where she'd have more energy and wouldn't feel the need to sleep 14 - 16 hours a day, the doctor mentioned that he'd prefer to give the shots in her belly then raised her shirt, lowered her pants and administered the shot, Mom winced, although she later claimed it didn't hurt, I asked him if I needed to know anything, needed to look for anything, he smiled and said, "No," then mentioned to cut her iron back to 1 pill per day, I asked if he wanted me to have her blood drawn tomorrow, he said, "No, we'll do that next week," and that was that.
    Are you surprised that I didn't insist on my usual question and answer session, asking specifics about possible side effects, etc.; that I didn't load myself up ahead of time with researched queries, that I didn't second question even the two that I asked, that I didn't, in some way, say, "Hey, wait a minute, I need more info!!!" Don't be. I'm tired of information. Tired of research. I may do a little on the net between now and next Wednesday at 1400 when she gets the next of what will apparently be weekly shots; I'm not even sure how many weeks we'll be doing this, and, you know what? I don't care. Then again, maybe I won't any research. Maybe I'll just let it all go, be a physician's fool for awhile and let the pros take care of it. I soooo want, and need, some simplicity. Just for awhile. And, with this treatment, at least, with Mom, considering her current and fairly long standing anemia profile, I don't think it's possible to make mistakes. Trying it certainly isn't a mistake. We'll see what happens.
    On the way home I explained to Mom that next week we'd be doing the same, the shots and all. I didn't know, I added, if this is going to be a regular weekly "thing" but I was sure it would continue for a little while.
    She wasn't disturbed. She said, "Okay. Why, though?"
    "Mom," I said, "I want you to know that I'm happy with the way you are right now. I know you are, too. I'm hoping that the shots will boost your energy, though. That you'll feel good enough to, for instance, want to go on errands with me; want to spend afternoons people watching in the park or the mall; want to supervise me when I do yard work. Maybe suggest things you'd like to do on your own, and we can do them. Maybe we can even get back to painting eggs. How do you feel about that?"
    She turned toward me and gave me her glare-over-the-top-of-her-glasses look. "It depends."
    I laughed. "Mom, I promise, I'll follow you on this. We'll see how it goes. But, you'll take the lead. If I suggest something and you say 'no', absolutely I'll honor your decision...well, assuming that I don't suspect that the 'no' isn't strictly the habit that your anemia has dictated for awhile, now, and needs to be broken. But, you know, let's take this a day at a time and see what happens. We might be surprised."
    "Well, that sounds good, then. Okay. Deal me in."
    I laughed at her last sentence. That's a new one. Hmmm..., I wondered. Do the shots work this fast?
    When we arrived home Mom was not interested in taking a nap immediately. However, after a bathroom visit and relaxing for about a half-hour in her rocker while watching a repeat episode of Meerkat Manor, her eyelids began to droop. I nudged her and asked if she was ready to nap.
    She said, "I think I am ready."
    So, she's in bed, now, has been for about an hour. I'm going to let her sleep for awhile, just to see if she arises "early" on her own. If she doesn't, I won't begin to freak for another hour or so.
    Just a few more items:    I am so hopeful about the EPO shots that I actually wept a few tears of relief when the hematologist popped into the exam room to announce that Mom would be receiving them. I'm not even concerned about whether I might be in for a let down. It's been a long, hard road and I like the fantasy that we might finally be on the downhill slope. I'm not even interested in contemplating otherwise-es. Not right now. If I have to, I'll do that...
    ...later.
Comments:
While I completely understand your choice of letting the doctor do his thing, I wonder if it isn't also a bit of acceptance that what will be will be. The fight becomes futile after a while - demanding respect, good care, thoughtful responses to impossible situations. It's like being in a deep sea of water, treading constantly, and then just rolling over and floating. Floating along the waves and currents, with no map to follow, or land to reach.

There's a peacefulness to this time, and for me it absolutely was acceptance. I wasn't going to change a broken system in time to make a difference in the outcome of my father's life, or probably my life either. Perhaps, at best, I'll be able to make some difference in my children's lives.

Healthcare is broken in America. We've all heard it a million times. We roll our eyes, finding the unusual instances of compassionate, competent care being the one bright day in month of very dim experiences.

Why is that? How did we sink so far as a country? I'm beginning to think it might have much to do with what's covered in a new book by Naomi Klein called "The Shock Doctrine". I haven't cracked it open yet, but I've been following it on my brother Rick's blog. It's harrowing stuff and I strongly suggest, if you have the time to pop on over and take a look.

When I went to Cambridge last year, and you were kind enough to co-host my blog, this was the brother I was caring for while he went through chemo and radiation. I lived in MA for three months, and completely gave myself over to the medical machine. I lived in hospital waiting areas. While I wail about health care, my brother's life was saved by modern medicine. So how does that fit into the mix? I don't know. I guess I will when I need to.

Anyway, my brother's blog is called "Bushdoctor's Waiting Room" and can be found at http://wwwbushdoctorcom.blogspot.com

Happy to be reading your posts again.

Patty
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger