The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Thursday, April 10, 2008
 
Although up of her own accord just before...
...her 12 hour sleep mark, and although, due to us both being riveted to a Bette Davis movie which was new to us, Deception, which kept her up for a more than decent amount of time before her nap, Mom mentioned to me, as she was rising from her walker pre-nap, that she is feeling "weak" today. She's moving okay; not at her least rickety, but not at her most rickety either. No complaints of feeling "achy" all over, as she felt the day after her first Epo shot last week. When she voiced this complaint, I suggested that maybe we ought to increase her sittercise sessions and add some stuff designed to make her a bit more mobile.
    As she was still struggling, with my help, through the rise, she glared at me over her glasses and said, "Why should we do that?!?"
    "Well, I was just thinking, if you don't like feeling weak..."
    "I'm happy the way I am," she insisted, matter of factly, without defensivenes.
    "Well, I was just thinking..."
    She was, by this time, steadily on her feet, holding only lightly onto my hands. She took control of her right arm and knocked me lightly with her index finger on what she would call my "noggin". "You think too much," she said.
    I left the matter at that.
    However, I wasn't expecting any reaction that would likely be shot related, this week, so her complaint of weakness, voiced only once, not only surprised me but got me to thinking that it's possible that every day after an erythropoeitin shot is going to be a bit off. Last week I chalked it up to her walkering. She did even more walkering yesterday, though, since "our" usual handicapped space, immediately outside the door of the building, was taken. Her complaint of "weakness" doesn't seem to cover a reaction from the extended walkering. Could be her "achy all over" feeling from last week wasn't a reaction to her walkering, either. Now, of course, I'll be looking for such days, so I need to make a mental note not to relentlessly question her into having one of those days, next week...just keep my senses alert and see how each day-after goes.
    I'm making a beefy dinner for her tonight: A reprise of the Hoisin Pot Roast. The aroma of it simmering has, I think, also had something to do with keeping her alert and awake today. We've got another movie queued up for tonight, a movie neither of us knows anything about but the title intrigued both of us: The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. I'm not a Brad Pitt fan. I can take him or leave him. I loved his performance in Thelma and Louise but, after that, even in movies I enjoyed for other reasons, like Se7en, he's seems like a one note wonder, simply playing shades of that long ago Thelma and Louise character. But, the title reminds me of the Deadwood series, in which both Mom and I revel, especially the language, so, frankly, when we watch The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford tonight, we'll be looking for some of that Deadwood atmosphere.
    Ah! She's up after only an hour's nap! I'll be back...
    ...later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger