The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Monday, March 10, 2008
 
I've been prepping Mom for at least a few days...
...and most especially last night just before bed...to expect an early rising this morning in order to have her "blood test" (the words I try to use when talking with her, since "blood draw" confuses her) done in time for the results to be available tomorrow morning, so it was with some amusement that I considered her resistance to an unusually early rising this morning at 1000 (she retired at midnight last night, so she only got 10 of her usual 12 hours of sleep). "I've decided not to go into class today. I just don't feel up to it," she said once her eyes were open, she had exited Dream Land (or the Dead Zone, whichever) and realized I was expecting her to get up.
    I grinned. "Well, good," I said, "since you'll be missing school today in order to have another blood test."
    She groaned, not good-naturedly. But, she complied.
    While we were dashing around preparing her for the trip, I couldn't help but ponder why she might have thought she was going to school today. Although she often considers whether or not she'll teach or continue her education "next year", so far her discussions about school have all been future, rather than present oriented.
    Finally, on our way home from the blood draw, it hit me. It's the word "test". Apparently, last night, at least, that word made a stronger impression on her than "blood" and translated itself into having to go to class today.
    Although I still can't predict exactly how she "performed" on her "test", today, I'm hopeful. First of all, her initial resistance was minor and easily negotiated, which means she feels good. Secondly, although I was not only expecting but practically insisting that she we use the wheel chair to move her in and out of the lab, she was adamant that she would use the walker. I took both and decided to let her try, since we'd have the wheel chair as back-up. Mind you, it's been a looooong time since she's done more walkering than around the house, and that hasn't been much. As well, the last few months have been generously sprinkled with half and whole wheel-chair-around-the-house days. But, I'll be damned if the woman didn't take hold of her walker and fairly march into the lab. She rested twice going in, but took both rests in standing mode at her insistence. She didn't rest at all on the way out. When I suggested a moment of rest halfway to the car, she gave me her signature indignant look and said, "You can rest if you want and catch up with me."
    Thirdly, After the draw I decided, considering how good she was feeling, that I'd make short stop at our medical supply company to pick up an E-tank carrier I'd ordered and a few extra tanks of oxygen for the trip instead of waiting until this afternoon. Although I told her she was welcome to wait in the car as I'd only be a few minutes, she considered going in (which is a triumph), but decided, when we pulled into the parking lot, to remain in the car so she could admire the trees dotting the company's landscaping. Some of them are very large, very old maples and oaks. "I just love to look at trees when they don't have their leaves, yet," she said. "They have such character!"
    I can't imagine that her hemoglobin is in transfusion range after all the energy she showed today.
    Her blood pressure, this morning, was also in fighting range, which is to say she was annoyed that I was bothering to take it and tightened her arm in defiance, which is usual "good health" behavior for her, as I took it. She also insisted on chatting and moving her fingers during the procedure. When she's severly anemic she doesn't bother to resist and doesn't have the energy to be annoyed.
    So, despite the fact that I continue to noticed "white" all over her, I have my fingers crossed. Maybe she's in the nines, maybe even the high nines. Might even be a little over 10. At any rate, today she had the energy for the trip. I'm hoping this continues. I've got beef meals planned through Wednesday night, starting with pot roast tonight. As well, we're visiting family this trip instead of staying in a hotel and she's excited about this. She even suggested it a couple of weeks ago.
    A month ago I was afraid that this cold/anemia bout was going to do her in. Now I've refocused my sites on her 91st birthday this August. Her recuperative powers continue to amaze me. I guess I just have to remember never to count her down until she's actually out. I was so relieved by this realization that I was finally able to take a long and much needed nap this afternoon.
    Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger