The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Tuesday, March 11, 2008
 
I am in the process of faxing...
...Mom's Health Review in anticipation of her doctor's appointment in Mesa at 1400 this coming Thursday. I have just three minutes before it will be time to awaken her, so I'll transfer all the information over here later. In the meantime, in case anyone has been awaiting her hemoglobin reading with bated breath: It was 9.1 at the time of her draw, yesterday, which was at 11:40 am. The good news is that her hemoglobin is, apparently, continuing to rise. I was hoping for better, but it looks like it's following a schedule of a .5 rise per week, which is probably why her doctor advised that I not bother to check it for "14 days". It is, after all, recovering without the benefit of a transfusion boost. At any rate, I'm going to ask him if he wants me to have a CBC done once a week for a month, or wait for two weeks. A quick check of last fall's three month long Blood Draw Jamboree immediately following her transfusion tells me that her recovery is approximately in line with what happened after the transfusion.
    At any rate, she is out of the transfusion woods, for the moment, and I expect her to stay out, barring severe colds, the need for acetaminophen (which I use very judiciously with her and she doesn't like to take, anyway), etc.
    I am aware that I've got at least four Blood Draws to post...not sure when I'll be getting around to that, but I've covered, here, everything that was important.
    Funny, I was primed to be extremely relieved when I picked up the results of yesterday's draw and viewed them. I think I was anticipating a hemoglobin reading that meant I could let up on some of that shoulder-to-the-wheel pressure I've been applying to Mom's health, lately. When I saw the "9.1" reading I experienced an overwhelming, palpable feeling of exhaustion. Oh well. I've been here before. I'm sure I'll be here again. I'll just try to take the next few days as easily as possible. I'm already anticipating that I'll need to take a cold pill on the morning of our trip, just in order to keep myself going throughout the entire day. Thank the gods for cold pills!
    Later.
Comments:
I am constantly amazed at the effort you go to in caring for your mom and documenting that care as well.

It is like the fresh air in a really stuffy place, the way you simply and matter-of-factly write about something from which the majority of the population shrinks.

There may not be many people who can do what you do, but your example silences those who argue it can't be done. It CAN be done, our parents CAN be allowed to grow into their old age at home, they can be honored by their children. Their heads CAN rest on their own damn pillows, in their own bed, in their own home. But the catch is, they need a child like you. And that, my dear, is a rarity. Your mother is blessed from sun up to sun up by you. In my opinion, you have set the bar at the proper height. Incredibly high.

You do such a great service to so many, simply by putting your life to words in your blog.

Thank you for allowing me, a reader, to be part of it.

Love,
Patty
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger