The Mom & Me Journals dot Net
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver, continued.

Apologia for these journals:
    They are not about taking care of a relative with moderate to severe Alzheimer's/senile dementia.
    For an explanation of what these journals are about, click the link above.
    For internet sources that are about caring for relatives with moderate to severe
        Alzheimer's/senile dementia, click through the Honorable Alzheimer's Blogs in my
        links section to the right.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals [a bit dated, at the moment]

Sunday, January 06, 2008
 
Today's been a semi-wheel chair day, so far.
    The Mom is down for a nap. Typically, the second "half" of her day goes better than the first, whether or not she's debilitated. Before she went in for a nap, she expressed some excitement about "all the good stuff" on TV tonight. The L Word begins another season. I'm looking forward to this one. With a bit of prodding she remembered the series when I mentioned it, enough to say, "Yes, I think I'd like to see what's going on with those girls." As well, she's been noticing an ad for a new show, The Cashmere Mafia, which debuts tonight. The ads and promos have been mentioning Sex and the City, one of Mom's favorite shows, because its lead writer is apparently responsible for this new show. I think Mom may be confusing all the talk with the old show and, frankly, I'm not excited about watching the new one, especially since it will be full of commercials and I usually find retreads disappointing, but, I'm curious, so I agreed to tape it while we're catching up on the last episode of last season's The L Word. As well, a couple of weeks ago when she was up into the wee hours and we were channel surfing, we stumbled on yet another dead people show, John Edward Cross Country, so, now, I'm taping episodes of that for her, since they often play when she's napping or night-sleeping. I mentioned to her that we've got a few of those backed up. I'm not sure Mom actually believes that this man talks to the dead...in fact, I'm not even sure she's aware that this is central to the show. She likes Edward's philosophy, though, which is even more liberally sprinkled throughout this new series of his than previously, and, it never fails, each episode generates yet more interesting conversations between Mom and me about dead relatives. She also likes the theme song, a lot, and has mentioned that she'd like to be able to play it "here at home" (not sure where she thinks we are when we're watching the show). I haven't yet instituted a search for it.
    Mom's "morning" started out well. She expressed surprise, on working herself to a sitting position on her bed before arising, that she felt "strange all over" but "not bad". I reminded her of the fall, instituted yet another detailed survey of body parts, and, at this point, I think she's just experiencing recuperative stiffness. She was a little slow heading into the bathing arena, but not iffy. However, she had trouble adjusting herself during the standing portion of bathing. She complained that she "couldn't get comfortable." At this point I decided that we'd operate in wheel chair mode for most of her first Up Period of the day.
    The really surprising development is that after initially expressing digust at my suggestion of using it for mobility, today, she absolutely reveled in the aforementioned Queenly Status the wheel chair proffers! She crowed and mugged and ordered her way through her "morning". It was fun, rather than frustrating, for me today, though. Her attitude was more humorous than entitled.
    We'll see how the evening goes, but I expect all of today will be a close repeat of yesterday, without the hip grabbing. The same may apply to tomorrow. We have a wonderfully ferocious series of lows going through, which always slow her down. The rainy one has morphed, this evening, into the snowy one, and more snow is promised for tomorrow. I'm stoked. Mom's taking advantage of the lows as an excuse to loll. Fine with me. My estimation is that she continues to heal well and quickly and, the more I trust her instincts about sleep and laziness, the more likely she'll be snapping to, announcing, with much surprise, in a few days, "I feel so much better today!" as is her usual habit in the wake of episodes like this.
    I promised her I'd awaken her at 2030 so she wouldn't miss any of her shows. Better get moving.
    Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger